From religious community to residential community
The church was built in 1955 by architect B.A. Schinkel as a gathering place for a religious community. the church is constructed on a modular dimension of 3.60m that is adopted in the design as the nave dimension for the housing. this creates four narrow housing units 23 metres in length, the full depth of the building. The living rooms of these apartments are in the church volume and they are of double height on the front side enabling light to penetrate deep into the housing through the original church windows. Beyond the church volume the housing volume narrows to capture as much light as possible in the units and in the basement car park. THe kitchen is situated in this part of the unit and this, in fact, forms the bridge to the more private rooms at the rear. The rest of the home can be monitored from here as can the car park. A corridor leads from the kitchen to a bedroom that looks back over the living space. A staircase at the end of the unit provides access to a second bedroom or study room with adjoining roof terrace. Two upstairs apartments are situated in the remaining part of the church, each with a width of two bays. These apartments are accessed via the former entrance to the church. For the upstairs apartments the roof plane of the church on either side is enlarged with a series of dormers. these dormers interlock and the dimensions are such that together they re-define the entire roof, giving it a machine-like rhythm. The eighth housing unit is an entirely new volume to be built immediately above the entrance of the basement car park.
The new church conversion comprising original and new elements is finally wrapped in zinc, whereby the building mass acquires a new architectural identity.
in cooperation with
Apartments with underground parking garage
Circumflex Projectontwikkeling B.V